Thursday, June 19, 2008

Tick Tock…


I found this poster near the train station in Lausanne in a very busy public area. It was on a stand at eye level mingled with many other posters. 
I would definitely throw this into the category of a Postmodern poster due to its non-grid-like type design and its playful yet spontaneous concept of colors and use of subject material.
It is to inform the public, like all posters, of something. This time it is to invite people to the museum of Scientific History for one of their current exhibits.
The imagery was designed with a single photo of a ticking bomb of TNT but made in a fun and more inviting tone. In fact even the large text appears to be included in the design process as part of the photo by using cutout letters of the exhibition's title. 
The 55-5-5 rule once again works great with its use of bright neon colors setting it apart from neighboring posters and the single image to grab your attention. At 5 feet you can read where and when the exhibition takes place and its catchphrase and continue to 5 inches where you see the website address, additional information, and again those that sponsor the museum's show.
I like simple layouts as I mentioned before and the complimentary colors worked well and by adding the brighter neon hues to it was very successful in grabbing my attention and urging me to learn more. Granted if I knew French it would be more interesting to me still, but I think I translated it correctly…

No comments: