Thursday, June 19, 2008

Fly On The Wall…



This is one of the posters I found during a lunch break in the underground walkway of the Lausanne train station. I broke away from the group and found a cluster of posters and was so excited to find something different than the norm that I took pictures of every one. Little did I realize that in the next few days we would be walking down this same corridor and the entire group would take the same photos. Anyway it was hung on the wall at eye level with the rest of them, but was one of the first that caught my eye.
Upon examination I would place this in the Object poster movement. It is very simple but the use of colors and placement of the text gives it a very small appearance of Postmodern.
Once again it is informing the public of another museum from the little I understand. Since I don't read I can only assume and make guesses to what it is portraying.
The imagery is nothing more than a photo of a common house fly and blown up to epic proportions, while the text is staggered across the plain of the layout alternating in color.
I think for the most part every poster follows the 55-5-5 rule and this one is no exception. Although I couldn't get 55 feet away due to the lack of space it is the giant fly that is initially seen. At 5 feet you read the text and at 5 inches you decipher the black text on the black fly while reading the dates and hours of the exhibition.
As I mentioned before it was a great poster at first because it was different and attracted me to it despite being in a crowded room of people and other neighboring posters. With that said it was successful, but as I look at it individually as an overall design it fails to totally wow me. This could be simply that I don't understand the language or that it was intentionally designed to be difficult to read. The main problem is the black text that overlaps the fly and is impossible to read but upon closer evaluation it seems that the black text is repeating itself anyway. Also the 55 feet rule works, but it would have been nice to see more of a size difference in the name of the museum to give it more contrast, however doing so would take away from the repeating pattern. Overall it is successful in its purpose but as a design one would appreciate it while the other would be a sceptic. I am still deciding which category I fall into…

No comments: