Saturday, June 28, 2008

Black and white meets color!

I found this poster on a poster standee on one of the streets in the city of Basel. It was hung at about eye level. The main style that has influenced this poster is the photomontage. You can see that there is black and white photography, and some of them are colored, and the photos arent all one image, it's many put together. The main thing that attracted me to this poster was the contrast of the color photos with the black and white. It's unual to see a lot of black and white photos, and these ones look kind of old, so it caught my eye and made me wonder what the poster was all about. It's interesting to me because the photos that are in color look modern, and the ones that are in black and white look like they could be from the 50's. The 55-5-5 rule applied here because from 55 feet away it caught your attention and you could probably even read some of it. From 5 feet away you can definitely read it all and some of the smaller print, and can see the photos. From five inches away, you can read the fine print and see details in the photos that you couldn't have seen from farther away. I think that this poster is probably successful, but it's hard for me to tell for sure because I don't exactly know what it's advertizing for because I can't read the language. However, I do find it visually interesting and so I think that it's successful in that respect.

No comments: