Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Old and the New


Walking back along the street from the panorama museum in Thun, this poster caught my eye. It was located alone in a “standee,” but was in a row of other single posters that were all at eye level. I think that this particular poster falls under the photomontage category because of combination of the two photographs on the top and bottom. The poster is advertising an exhibit going on at the art museum in Bern, a photo exhibit I'm guessing. The red strip with large white print in the middle is what I think most people would notice right off the bat from 55 feet away. Then as they approach it from 5 feet they will see that the background above and below the red are two photos, and they will notice how similar the new modern photo is to the painting below it. Then from 5 inches they will be able to see the dates of when the exhibit is being shown, and to see all the details in the photos. For me personally this poster was a success. It caught my attention with the striking color in the middle, because it contrasted so well with the photos around it. The font got my attention as well, but wasn't overbearing. It didn't distract me from looking at the rest of the poster, and I thought that the selected piece from show was a strong photo and made me intrigued with what the rest of the collection looked like. How they got the image from the exhibit on the poster itself I'm not sure of, but I think it was well done overall.

No comments: