Friday, June 20, 2008

Interlaken


I found this poster at the bottom of the tram that we took to go up to Gimmerwald. It was eye level with people walking by, and just on the cement wall leading to the gondola.
This poster looks like an European Travel poster. It might actually be an Early Swiss Travel Poster from 1908-30. It shows an upper class couple enjoying the view of the Alps in a comfortable atmosphere. It has that little picture of a train in the bottom right corner, so it could have been trying to advertise the train system and how comfortable it was to travel in.
The images were once a painting and put together for this poster, which was usually the technique in that era.
I think this poster applies well to the 55-5-5 rule because even from far away I was able to see this poster. There isn't any small writing, so I could read it from the gondola. Even from 5 inches, the images were interesting because it is quite a details painting.
I was attracted to this poster because of the painting. I think it is very well composed and the artist was very skilled. I like the Travel Posters era in Switzerland because I think it influenced Switzerland's tourist industry and economy so greatly. I believe that this poster would have been successful because it is an appealing poster visually. Simple but successful.

No comments: