Thursday, June 19, 2008

Rock Oz Arenes


I found this poster on the wall of the train station at Lausanne. I think it is a hybrid of the Postmodern and Object poster. I think its typographic elements are very Postmodern, yet it is minimal like an Object poster.

I think the concept of this poster is just to be fun and eye-catching. I don't see any immediately obvious relationship between the donut on the poster and the concert the poster is advertising. I think it is just supposed to be attention-grabbing, and the designer tied the donut and the type together using the donut shape for the O's on the title text, and then added some chocolate sauce down the side of the body text. I also think that in an abstract way, the donut somewhat resembles a person singing, with the sprinkles representing sound waves coming out of their mouth. I think the function of this poster is simply to advertise, generate interest in, and sell tickets for the Rock Oz Arenes.

The imagery is photography. However, it looks a little bit fake, like it has been digitally altered to be slightly cartoonish.

I think the 55-5-5 rule applies fairly well to this poster. From 55 feet, the bright green and pink are very attention-getting. Also, the donut is a fun image that gets the viewer's attention from a distance. The headline text is also large enough to be read from 55 feet away. At five feet, the viewer can easily read the artist/band names running down the poster, as well as the information under the title. In addition, at five feet, the viewer can appreciate the finer details of the donut image - the sprinkles and the chocolate sauce drizzles, for example. From five inches, the only thing I can see that would become relevant are the small logos running across the bottom of the poster, so perhaps the designer could have added some smaller details in order to make the poster more interesting up close.

I honestly think the giant, bright pink donut on the green background attracted me to the poster, initially. It looked especially scrumptious, probably because I was really hungry at that point. I also think that the fun tilt of the type was interesting, as well as the general positive upward flow of the poster. Another thing I think is really beautiful is the sprinkles that run across the poster. Though it is not the conceptionally strongest poster I have ever seen, I think it is really fun and successful at attracting attention.

No comments: