Thursday, June 19, 2008

Children love cheese



I found this poster in Zermatt behind all the trains. It was a billboard-sized poster placed high up on the cement wall so that you could see it from the train.

This poster was informed by the photomontage style with a flair of playfulness which looks kind of post-modern style. The type is definitely post-modern as it is not straight or on a mathematical grid.

The function/concept is advertising cheese. It is trying to show the playfulness of childhood and make you feel happy and playful when you eat their cheese. I am not certain what the point is of having the old photo with the new one. I suppose it means that they have a new kind of cheese but it’s just as good as the one they had to start with.

The 55-5-5 rule applies to it because from far away I can see the interesting black and white photo next to the color one and the people in each photo are interacting with each other. Next, when I got a little closer I noticed that the children are looking at cheese. I was not able to get closer than that, but I suppose that is the reason they made it so big, so that details would not be lost to the passengers on the train.

I do really like this poster because it plays on my emotions. It makes me think of fun and childhood. I think that this would attract a lot of people. I think the intended audience is adults going grocery shopping. The message is that it is fun to have this kind of cheese. Perhaps this kind of cheese will take you back to the good old days of your youth.

No comments: