Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Camels!


I also found this poster walking along the streets in Thun coming from the panorama museum. I noticed it on the way there, and for some reason it jumped out at me so on the walk back I stopped to look at it closer. It was being displayed in a “standee” along the sidewalk by a busy road in Thun. The poster stood about eye level like the rest of the posters around it. In general I thought that most of the posters along this street were well done, but like I said this one jumped out at me above the rest. This poster, I thought, followed the postmodern trend. It had bright bold colors, and multiple layers of sketch like drawings. The text was not in just one location, but at the top and bottom and it layered over the drawings. The point for the poster was for either a show or an art exhibition as shown by the times to come view it. The imagery was produced by what looked like a collection of sketches layered on one another with bright water colors in the background. How they actually got that affect I’m not sure. The bright colors are the first thing you notice from 55 feet away. It is what grabbed my attention. When you come up to it about 5 feet away you can read most of the text and you can see the illustration in the background behind the text. Then as you get right up next to the poster you can see the fine print of the details of showing times, and you are better able to see the illustrations and their detail. I thought this poster was a success. It was attention getting, which is the biggest key factor in creating a poster. If it doesn’t grab the public’s attention in some way then there is no point in having made the poster. The text was very obvious and in your face, but the background was equally as strong, but in a different way so you could notice both. The placement of the poster was also an excellent choice. It stood against a drab industrial background, and most of the posters surrounding it had more dark and neutral colors, therefore, making its already bright colors stand out even more.

No comments: