Sunday, June 15, 2008

Pimp my baby



















This poster was in the streets of several Swiss cities. This is the first one I saw which was in Vevey. It was also on the street next to three other poster stands, not too far away from the Caribana Festival poster. It wasn't on a commercial street but a more residential neighborhood.

I actually don't know what function the poster is promoting. The illustration is abstract enough that I couldn't identify the brightly colored, repeating object. I think it may be a play on the american TV show "Pimp my Crib." The object could be a crib I guess. But then again it looks kind of like a fussball table.
What caught my attention were the big colorful shapes on a white background. Then you notice the big type. I'm sure the font is 70's disco inspired. I'm not sure what era the brightly stamped objects come from. It does remind me of some of Warhol's screen printed work.
Altogether I would say this poster is more retro inspired than anything else. (Maybe that's why I was drawn to it - www.retrohouse.net) There are some elements in there that are not completely retro, like the overall cleanliness, simplicity and white background for example. I would say that it has more Post Modern influence than any of the other poster genres we discussed in class.

The poster is effective at grabbing a viewers attention especially if you read english. Immediately you think to yourself, " What? Pimp a baby?" Unfortunately if you are intrigued enough to approach the poster for more information you will be disappointed to find that there is no explication (or excuse) for pimping babies.

No comments: