Wednesday, June 25, 2008

sylvia post number 3

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 25, 2008

I walked past this poster at the Brig train station. It was very large in size and situated directly above the station entrance. I felt that this poster was very much a mixture of many movements. It was a modern travel poster, so obviously it received some influence from early swiss travel posters. I also feel that there is a little bit of modern photomontage going on because photos are combined in this poster to get the message across. It is obvious that this scene is not actually taking place so I deduct that more than the use of one photo might characterize this poster as a photomontage even though it is not as obvious as it's early inspirations. I also think that this poster definitely fits the postmodern category with it's concepts, complexity, spontaneity, and disregard for rules in general as it places a modern twist on a combination of old techniques. I believe that the main point of this poster is to get people who wish to travel the country to take trains. They used two huge attractions on the same poster (which two destinations are not close in proximity) and they squished the distance between them like the wrinkling of a floor mat. I thought this was a very clever and interesting way to portray the way the trains can shorten a distance when traveling. The imagery is very complex and I'm sure that they used many, many layers, photos, and some computerized illustrations to enhance the overall image and to create the puckering effect of the landscape. They did a good job with the placement of this poster and the scale as well. It was in a place that tons of people would have to look at it everyday, and it was a large enough scale that is works out perfectly with visibility. I was first attracted to this poster because of the beauty of the scene, then I was impressed by the clever way that they portrayed their concept. I think it is very successful because it is very well done, and uses such strong imagery as to make an impact. I've been very impressed with the BBC posters. They have been around for a while and they have definitely become masters of their trade.

No comments: