Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I like eskimos

This poster was found inside the chocolate facotry, hung up along one of the walkways next to a lot of other posters for their factory. The thing that attracted me to this poster was the fact that it featured an eskimo. I found it kind of strange, and I don't really know what it is about an eskimo holding a giant candy bar that will make me want to buy it, but it does catch my attention and the image does stick in my mind. The main style of poster that informed this poster is the object poster. The main thing that you see is this big, red chocolate bar surrounded by mostly black and white. Your attention is drawn to the chocolate bar.  Also, the fact that this poster was painted drew me to it because most of the posters that we see now, are either pictures or computer generated. The 55-5-5 rule applies because from 55 feet away the red chocolate bar and white clad eskimo catch your attention on a black background. You come closer, and from five feet away you can read all the text on the bar and down at the bottom of the poster. From five inches away you can see the details on the wrapper of the poster and on the eskimo's face and clothes. I think that this poster is successful because it's different and a little bit out of the ordinary so it sticks in your mind. 

No comments: