Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Rock


Coming down from the Toubillon Castle Ruins and the Valere Basilica I saw a row of posters lining the street being displayed in single covers hanging on the wall that also lined the street. The one that caught my attention was at eye level, and had a large picture of a stone artifact covering almost the whole poster. The poster had been influenced by the photomontage movement. It did this by creating a collage and collaborating the one large photo in the middle, and taking small photos of other artifacts and faming them in boxes along the edges of the poster. The photo's and poster's purpose is to promote the artifact exhibit going on in a museum in Sion. The large middle photo was the part of the poster that would grab your attention from 55 feet, then looking closer at the poster from 5 feet you can see that there are many other photos along the edge and some of the text. Once you get up close to the poster you can see the details in the artifacts and the smaller text. I would say that the 55-5-5 rule is how I went about being attracted to this poster. The large stone in the middle is what caught my eye, and then as I got closer I noticed the other photos around it, and that it wasn't just a stone but an artifact with a design on it, then I studied closer to see the details in the rest of the photos. I thought the pster was a success because it gave you a taste of what the exhibit is all about and gives you a view of some of the collection in the museum, and therefore spark your interest to go see it.

No comments: