Friday, June 20, 2008


This was placed inside an eye-level poster standee outside of a Migros in Spiez. In fact, several identical copies of this poster could be seen prominently displayed on the steep walk up the hill. With it's clean, minimal background, stark contrast of colors, objective image and clear-cut type, this is obviously a Swiss Object Poster. Little of any other style seems to have gained any sort of influence here, yet for the purposes of this advertisement, any other combination of styles may have over-crowded the message. Not meant to sell or persuade, this is simply an informational poster cautioning viewers of possible pick-pocketers. The imagery seems to be a photo-manipulated work using photography and digital merging. The bright colors and universally recognizable symbol of the snake catch they eye from far off, while closer inspection allows the viewer to see the clever suggestion of a hand and sleeve through the image of the watch and cuff around the snake's neck. Bold, contrasting colors are what initially attracted me to this poster and upon realizing the message of the advertisement, I was admittedly pleased that I wasn't trying to be sold something. The poster works very well as an informational piece, as I found myself checking my wallet shortly after seeing a series of these on my way up to the store.

No comments: