Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Street Signs

This poster is an eye-level standee on the sidewalk in Lausanne on the way up the hill to the Lausanne Cathedral. It was in a group of three standee posters each double sided.

It was informed by the Object Poster style as well as the Post Modern style. It has also got some Post-Modern influence in that the type is not all on a mathematical grid system. The colors are stark and minimal and there is a destination depicted in the bottom left corner of the page.

The concept is an announcement of the 2008 – 2009 season of the cultural center in Lausanne. It’s function to let you know what plays will be going on and to give you a website to go for more information.

Its imagery was produced by computer graphics and editing the colors of the cut –out photos in the bottom corner.

The 55-5-5 rule does apply to this poster because from a distance I first noticed it because of its bright colors. When I got closer I noticed what the object on the poster was and was able to read it and upon closer inspection I was able to see the tiny scene in the bottom-left corner.

I was most attracted to it by its use of primary colors. They caught my eye because they are bright and clear. Next, I was attracted to it because its information is not overwhelming. There is a lot of information, but the important information is highlighted.

I also like it because even without knowing the language, I am able to figure out what it is about. I think it is successful because it applies the 55-5-5 rule and it gets your attention among a sea of other things trying to do the same and it does not overwhelm you with information… only enough to get you interested and direct you to a website where you can find out more.

No comments: