Sunday, June 15, 2008

RKC yeeeeaaah baby!

I found this poster on a standee downtown in Vevey. I think it is a hybrid of the International Style as well as an Object Poster. The elements that make it an International Style poster are the left-aligned sans serif type, as well as use of the grid system. I think it is also influenced by the Object Poster because it is a very clean, minimal design, with simple, clear type. Also, the guitarist is the only piece of artwork in the design, thus maintaining simplicity.

I think the concept of the poster is simplicity. The designer had a huge amount of type to fit onto the poster, therefore I think he/she wanted to make it as simple as possible in order to avoid making the amount of text overwhelming for viewers. I think by limiting the colors and using sans serif type, the designer made the text more easily readable. Additionally, I think the designers choice of imagery is very good. By implementing the guitarist as a large, clear, simple shape, it allows for text to run across the artwork without sacrificing readability of text or clarity of the imagery. I think the function of the poster is to advertise RKC as a musical venue, while advertising specific performers and the website.

I think it is an exceptional example of the 55-5-5 rule. From 55 feet, the viewer sees the large RKC across the top and the guitarist. At 5 feet, the viewer can read more information - the website and the larger red type. At 5 inches, the viewer can easily read all information on the poster, as well as enjoy the details of the vector artwork on the guitarist.

I think this poster is very successful, especially with the huge amount of type the designer had to deal with. I think I was attracted to the poster by its good use of visual hierarchy, the RKC being the dominant element, with the guitarist as a secondary element, and the remainder of the type as the least-dominant element. I like this relationship between the type and image. I also think it is a very interesting design, despite being highly simple and minimal.

No comments: