Thursday, June 19, 2008

It's Opera Time!


During our long pilgrimage to the Ruins of Rome in Lausanne I came across this poster on the side of a busy street, near to lake Geneva. It was on a "standee" next to brick wall. 
I actually made a double take at this poster. The yellow really caught my attention the first time from afar ways off,... but the image, as I came closer, really caught my attention. The illustration was cool and it really was so abstract that it confused me. It is easy to see that the text on the poster follows a grid structure and really stays with it so it is obvious to see the Postmodern influence in the design of the text and illustration relationship. But, there is a feeling to me of antiquity. 
I see the influence of the Early Swiss Travel posters in the illustration. The use of painted shadow and light and the human form just create a modern poster of Early Swiss illustration. 
As you get within inches you can see the poster for what it is. The patterned background the detailed illustration and the information type. I think create a strong communication. 
I think that this poster is effective when viewed close. It does catch attention from a distance, but... It can be easily forgotten because the color is so intense. I like this poster and the others from its series. It is very beautiful.

No comments: